Simple brown rice dish – today I would like to share with you a recipe and how to do it. Brown rice is known since time immemorial and was domesticated probably in India. From there it went to China then Japan and to Persia, and after conquered the entire world. Brown rice is very nutritious and has many health benefits.
To cook simple brown rice dish you will need;
– Stainless steel pressure cooker (never use aluminum please!)
– Steel or cast-iron frying pan
– Pestle and mortar (wooden or ceramic)
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 pinch of unrefined sea salt – Himalayan, or any other natural salt
- 1 piece (1 inch – you can add more if you like) of dry Kombu seaweed
- The Gomasio: Additional seasoning for later.
- 2 tsp of white or black sesame seeds (preferably white)
- 1/2 tsp of natural salt as before
- In the Japanese language, the word ‘goma’ means sesame and ‘sio’ means salty.
- Before cooking, rinse brown rice in cold water.
- You have to repeat this a few times until water becomes clear.
- Warm up gently your pressure cooker and put brown rice inside.
- Then using wooden spoon, from time to time keep stirring until rice becomes dry and slightly golden brown.
- Add 3 cups of clean cold water, pinch of salt and Kombu then brings it to boil.
- Next put the pressure cooker lid on, reduce gas flame to the minimum level but make sure that rice is still boiling.
- Allow to boil for 60 mins and mix well after cooking.
- Lower the pressure inside the cooker. You can only remove the lid WHEN THE PRESSURE IS REDUCED TO ZERO. Please read how to safely use a pressure cooker.
- Heat your steel or cast iron pan gently (on the lowest flame)
- Sprinkle the 2 tsp of white or black sesame seeds and 1/2 tsp of unrefined sea salt on to the pan.
- Stir these around the pan until it is thoroughly dry. If seeds start “jumping” it means your pan is too hot. To reduce the heat, remove pan from burner for a while, reduce the flame and finish the process.
- Once you’ve made the gomasio allow it to cool down.
- Use your pestle and mortar to gently grind the cooled gomasio.
- Put desired amount of cooked rice in a bowl and use gomasio seasoning sparingly. This is a very healthy option for breakfast and helpful to lose weight. If you’d like it with a twist, add in a few dried prunes to the rice whilst it’s cooking.
“Zen Macrobiotics: The Art of Rejuvenation and Longevity” George Ohsawa Macrobiotic Foundation; Fifth Edition, ISBN-10: 0918860733